Android Enterprise offers the following benefits:
- Enabling Android Enterprise works with any (non G-Suite Account) Google account
For corporate owned devices
- A fully locked-down mode for complete corporate ownership with optional personal account creation
- Corporate ownership activation during Out-of-the-box experience
- DPC Identifier Enrollment
- Device Owner mode enablement
- A corporate Google Play portal, which contains only Administrator approved applications for enterprises
- Managed Play
- A single application mode for Kiosk-like applications, which is named COSU (Corporate-Owned, Single-Use)
- Silent application installation without the need of personal Gmail accounts.
For personal owned devices
- Ability to create a dedicated corporate workspace on a personal used device
- Adding a work profile to Google Play, which contains Administrator approved applications for enterprises
- Application installation inside the corporate workspace
These key terms are associated with Android for Enterprise and will help you to understand how the configuration is working with Silverback and how to configure the deployment settings.
DPC Identifier Enrollment
During the out of the box experience on Android and SamsungSafe devices any end user is questioned to add a Google Account to the device. Here the setup can be directed into two different deployment options for business purpose. When the user enters a personal Gmail account, the device is intended as a personal device, where afterwards a Work Profile can be configured on top.
For corporate owned devices a user or administrator can start here immediately with the activation of a corporate account on the device. For that, a DPC Identifier will be provided in the username field. For Matrix42 and Silverback the DPC Identifier is afw#matrix42. After entering the DPC Identifier and proceeding, the setup directs to download our Companion application, which will be used to activate the device owner mode and finish the enrollment process into Silverback.
Device Owner Mode
Corporate-owned deployments are supported by the device owner mode of operation. A device owner mode can only be activated during the Out-of-the-box experience with the DPC identifier and activated Managed Profile. With the device owner activation all Administrator gains more control over devices.
Managed profiles are indented for corporate owned devices and can be configured in Silverback inside any Tag. In a common scenario, the Managed Profile activation is configured in Auto population mode. It will activate the corporate Google Managed Play.
Work Profiles are indented for personal owned devices and can be configured in Silverback inside any Tag. They are designed for "Bring your own device" and "Corporate -Owned, Personally Enabled" scenarios and will create a dedicated corporate workspace on a personal used device.
The COSU (Corporate-Owned, Single-Use) solution set is designed for corporate-owned devices that fulfill a single use case, such as digital signage, ticket printing, or inventory management. This allows administrators to further lock down the usage of a device to a single app or small set of apps, and prevents users from enabling other apps or performing other actions on the device. COSU Mode is applicable for devices configured in the Device Owner Mode.
Mobile Application management
The MAM (Mobile Application Management) solution set allows administrators to distribute public and private apps to users on a wide range of Android devices, including older devices that do not support work profiles. This solution set only enables the distribution of applications, and does not include the device management features of other solution sets.