This article applies to version 9.0 Update 2 and higher for classic UI and Unified User Experience - however, screenshots display Unified User Interface (UUX) only.
Entitlement of license requirements with existing licenses is using the concept of license pools. For every purchased license the license pool defines which consumers respectively license requirements may use this license for entitlement. This helps to fragment all available licenses across the organization so that inappropriate entitlements are avoided.
The automatic entitlement process of the system considers the ownership of a license requirement - which is derived from the ownership of corresponding consumer - and the license pools of suitable licenses. The ownership of the license requirement must match in all three dimensions of a license pool.
Creating and managing license pools
License pools can be found under Purchased Licenses in the navigation of the Licenses application. In the edit form it is possible to assign multiple organizational units, cost centers and locations. At least one entry is required in each dimension.
In the edit form of a license pool you provide following information:
- Ownership: Define who owns the license pool record. You may use these settings to control access to this object.
- Name: Provide a comprehensible, user-friendly name for your license pool. Refer to a contractual scope or use another name that helps you understanding what the license pool defines as eligible scope of license consumption. Remember that licenses using this license pool will display only name of pools in dataset views, preview and edit form as well in action Set License Pool. It is recommended that you do not reuse existing license pools if you organize them according to contractual terms. Instead, create a new license pool with appropriate name. Examples: "Microsoft Enterprise Enrollment for MyCompany" or "Global Pool".
- Description: Provide additional comments and information about the license pool.
- Organizational Units: Add all organizational units where entitlement with assigned license are eligible.
If you want that subordinated units also may consume respective licenses, select setting Full Hierarchy... You do not need to add all the child nodes here.
- Cost Centers: Add all cost centers where entitlement with assigned license are eligible.
- Locations: Add all organizational units where entitlement with assigned license are eligible.
If you want that subordinated locations also may consume respective licenses, select setting Full Hierarchy... You do not need to add all the child nodes here.
Edit form of a license pool:
Please note that each dimension needs to have at least one entry. If you want to allow consumption of license for all elements in respective organizational dimension, add the corresponding "Global" element and enable the full hierarchy setting.
If you are changing the setup of an existing license pool regarding eligible organizational units, cost centers and locations or relevant license the system has to reconcile corresponding entitlements which may take some time to finish!
On the page Licenses of the license pool edit form you can manage all licenses that should use this license pool for entitlement. Add and remove them as required.
The Future Licenses list contains all licenses that will use this license pool according to their particular license pool settings as well the valid from and valid until dates. This list cannot be edited here. Instead open edit dialog of corresponding license and adjust license pool settings there.
Using license pools
Hierarchy of assigning licenses based on license pools
We recommend defining the license pools as globally as possible. This ensures that the entitlements are evenly applied across your company, optimizing your software investments and reducing risk of being non-compliant in some areas. Check your volume license agreements and purchase contracts to see if there are any corresponding limitations.
The general rule is that the system entitles a license requirement with a license whose license pool is nearest to the organizational unit of the license requirement's consumer.
Hierarchy of organizational units and license pools is as follows:
- Global - with available licenses
- OU 1 - with available licenses
- OU 1.1 - with available licenses
- OU 1.2
- OU 2
- OU 2.1
- OU 2.2
- OU 1 - with available licenses
License requirement for computer in OU 1.1 will use license pool of OU 1.1.
License requirement for computer in OU 1.2 will use license pool of OU 1.
License requirement for computer in OU 2.1 will use license pool of Global.
Set license pool for a new license
When you create a new record for a purchased license you provide the license pool directly in the edit form. In the section License Pool select the existing license pool that defines in which area of your organization the license can be used for entitlement.
The license pool of a license is displayed in the preview as well as on the edit form of license:
Change license pool of an existing license
Select one or multiple licenses and run action Set License Pool.
A wizard opens and lets you define the license pool effective for entitlements:
- New Release Status: Set the status of the license pool assignment for selected license. Only with status Released usage rights from license are effectively available in the selected license pool for entitlement. Choose other status if you want to exclude the license from the license pool.
Available status values:
- Released: Usage rights from license are effectively available in the selected license pool for entitlement.
- Suspect: Choose this value if you have doubts if the information provided with recorded license is accurate and correct.
- Sold: Choose this value if you have sold the license and you are not allowed continue using it for entitlement. Consider adding attachments or further information with the license record so you can understand in the future what happened to this license. Alternatively, you could delete the record but this would possibly bring you in a difficult situation if you have to report about the status of this purchased license. So we do not recommend deleting it.
- Not Released: Choose this value if you have other reasons that you do not provide usage rights to the license pool, although you have it assigned. Consider adding attachments or further information with the license record so you can understand in the future what happened to this license.
- New License Pool: Select the license pool you want to assign to selected licenses.
- Valid From: Define a date as of the license pool should be used by selected licenses.
- Valid Until: Define a date until the license pool should be used by selected licenses.
The system will automatically track "valid from" and "valid until" dates. If a defined period becomes effective or expires, they system will update corresponding licenses. In case of expiration, the previously used license pool will become valid again for the license.