The number of outdated incident records is constantly increasing every day, and after years of usage the system accumulates thousands of such records. Not many outdated incident records are actually used, whereas the remaining records, which are no longer used, have a negative impact on performance. For such cases, Matrix42 Software Asset and Service Management provides the archiving functionality. This section describes the working principle of this functionality.
Let's assume that a large company would like to improve its incident management process by archiving incidents that have the Closed status, with the closure date that is older than two years. To implement the archiving functionality, the administrator should log into Matrix42 Software Asset and Service Management and do the following:
- Click Administration > Schema > Configuration Items.
- In the Name field under the search criteria, enter Incident, and then press <Enter>.
- Double-click the Incident configuration item to open it.
- Click the Advanced dialog page.
- Under Archiving, select the Enabled checkbox, and then enter the following ASQL expression in the ASQL Expression field:
"RelatedSpsCommonClassBase.State = 204 AND RelatedSpsActivityClassBase.ClosedDate < DATEADD(yy, -2, GETDATE())"
where 204 means that the status is Closed.It is possible to change the incident status and the date of this status in the ASQL expression. For example, if you want to archive the incidents that were created more than two months ago, but have not been closed yet, the expression will be as follows:
"RelatedSpsCommonClassBase.State = 200 AND RelatedSpsActivityClassBase.CreatedDate < DATEADD(mm, -2, GETDATE())"where 200 means that the status is New. In addition, if you want to archive a specific incident, for example, INC00003, use RelatedSPSActivityClassBase.TicketNumber='INC00003'.
- Click DONE at the bottom to save and close.
- Click Administration > Services & Processes > Engine Activations and run the Archiving Activation engine activation to check if archiving is enabled for incidents. If it is enabled, then the incidents that meet the previously defined ASQL criteria will be archived and moved to the Archived Incidents sub-tabulator of the Incidents tabulator.
The default schedule for the engine activation is every Saturday at 10 pm, but of course it is possible to add a custom schedule.In order to view the archived incidents, the incident manager should log in to Matrix42 Software Asset and Service Management and click Service Desk > Incidents > Archived Incidents. The archived incidents are read-only and actions for them are inactive. However, it is possible view object details for such incidents. It is also possible to include the archived incidents in search results when running the Search Incidents action in Matrix42 Software Asset and Service Management.
Please be aware that the archived incidents are no longer editable. If they are archived once, they cannot be moved back to the production system. Besides, they are no longer visible from other configuration items and will not be considered in the reports.