Since license requirements must be entitled with licenses that use the same license model, the entitlement might not happen automatically for downgrades if the available licenses of the corresponding software product have a different license model. In such a scenario you must change the license model of the license requirement to make the successful entitlement possible.
This change is automated if two conditions are met:
- the corresponding licenses have the same license model as the software product they are assigned to
- and this license model is listed on the License Models page of the license requirement's software product.
In this case the system handles the situation as if the license requirement was created for the software product that provides the downgrade. As a result, the license model of the license requirement is changed to the license model of the downgradeable license.
The automatic change of license model happens according to the rules described in the Extent of license model change with downgrades article.
How and when the license model is changed
The system changes the license model of license requirements automatically to entitle them with downgradeable licenses if the following prerequisites are fulfilled:
- The Automatic change of license model with downgrades checkbox is selected in Settings in the Licenses application.
- The Manual Definition checkbox is cleared on the General page of the license requirement.
- The Calculate Quantity Automatically checkbox is selected on the General page of the license requirement.
- The automatically created license requirement has been confirmed.
The change of the original license model is recorded on the Journal dialog page of the license requirement.
If for any reason the downgradeable license is no longer valid, the license requirement is reset to its original license model. In addition, it is set to the original license model if a new license whose license model matches the original license model of the license requirement is added to the system.
The picture below illustrates the two steps of successful automatic change of the license model. In this scenario the license has the same license model as the corresponding software product.
Changing the license model of a license requirement may lead to a different quantity of required usage rights.
If the license uses a different license model than the one used by the downgradeable software product, the automatic change of the license model is not supported.