This manual first describes the prerequisites for the Matrix42 OS deployment based on WinPE. This is followed by detailed instructions on how to prepare and perform the deployment (also for different scenarios).
Matrix42 Client Management (v20.0.x or later).
To use WinPE, an actual .NET and an actual Power Shell version (minimum 5.1) is needed!
Note: We recommend to use WADK 11 on building maschine with Windows 11 or Server 2022 and we recommend to use WADK 10 on building maschine with Windows 7/ 10 or Server 2016/ 2019!
- An installed (current) Windows ADK for Windows 10 or 11 on the Empirum Master Server, for WinPE creation.
- The Empirum Master Server runs on a Windows Server 2016 / 2019/ 2022 operating system.
- The backend task queue needs this for the creation of the WinPE boot images.
The current functionality of Matrix42 OS Deployment based on WinPE:
- Import of Matrix42 PreOS packages
- Creation of a WinPE based boot configuration
- Assignment and configuration of Matrix42 PreOS packages using variable configurations
- Assignment of operating system editions via drag & drop
- Deployment on UEFI or legacy / bios based computers
- Domain Join of the computer and assignment to the Organizational Unit in the Active Directory
- Support for DHCP options
- Selection of the Empirum agent version to be installed
- HTTP(S) as transport protocol
- Display of current tasks on the client during installation
- End of Life (EOL)
- Self provisioning based on computer templates
- Support for language packs in CAB file format (LP) and as Local Experience Packs (LXP)
- Use of static IP address in OS deployment
- Configuration of server certificate fingerprints for HTTPS communication
- Integrated support for OS deployment of computers to a workgroup
The following limitations exist when using Matrix42 OS Deployment based on WinPE:
- Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 10 / Windows 11 and Windows server 2016 / 2019 / 2022 operating systems are supported.
- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is offered with a workaround. Please contact our support for more information.
- WinPE based self-provisioning works with all (EFI) clients, but local boot only works on clients already set up with Empirum from v19.0.1 / WinPE Support 1.6.1. The alternative is not to configure a default PXE image in DBUtil, but to boot from a USB stick.
A USB stick can be created in the Empirum Management Console under Boot Configurations. When running a Self Provisioning boot configuration, drivers added to the configuration in the current state are not installed.