Administrators can initiate and execute enrollments for modern managed devices, based on available user information in the Digital Workspace Platform. As mobile or modern managed devices are technically connected to the Enterprise Mobility Management component Matrix42 Silverback, we recommend to get first familiar with the basic management functionalities of Silverback.
Enterprise enrollments for mobile devices requires in most cases the creation of a One Time Password in combination with a Username, which will be provided to users as an overview and a scannable QR-Code e.g., for Android, iOS and iPadOS devices. The process of providing the information to users is also separated into two main different ways. One way is that users performing the enrollment through the Self-Service Portal, which is reachable from any device with a internet connection and a browser, e.g. under https://silverback.imagoverum.com/ssp.
Another way is an Administrator initiated process to create enrollments for specific users or perform the enrollment on behalf of the users, which is covered in this guide. In this case users are receiving a notification with their enrollment credentials and additionally Administrators can retrieve the credentials and the QR code to perform the enrollment. On desktop PCs like Windows or macOS the typical way for users is to perform the enrollment through the Self Service Portal, which guides users to execute the enrollment. For enrolling devices on behalf, Administrators can open on these devices, the activation page (e.g. https://silverback.imagoverum.com/activate) from Silverback with a browser to perform the enrollment for users. In several enrollment flows, the explained principles are used, but there are also exceptions like enrollments through available Deployment Programs like Windows Autopilot, Apple Automated Device Enrollment or Zero Touch Enrollments for Android devices, as shown in the further documentation overview below.
In a nutshell, adding mobile devices in the Unified User Experience leverages the following options:
- Creation of a new pending enrollment
- Sending enrollment credentials to target users
- Perform device enrollments for users
|Platform||Getting Started Guides for EMM||Deployment Programs|
|Android||Android Guide||Android Enterprise|
|iOS, iPadOS,||iOS/iPadOS Guide||Device Enrollment Program|
|macOS||macOS Guide||Device Enrollment Program|
|tvOS||AppleTV Guide||Device Enrollment Program|
|Windows 10/11||Windows 10 Guide||Windows Autopilot / Azure AD Join|
Unified User Experience
To initiate enrollments in the Unified User Experience, please perform the following steps:
- Login to your Unified User Experience with Administrative credentials
- Navigate to Endpoint Devices and click +Add Mobile Device
- Select at least one of the available users and select if the device is a personal or a corporate owned device
- Finish the Enrollment Invitation with Send Invitation
Please make sure that the selected users are authorized to connect their devices. The selected users must either be part of the stored LDAP filter in the Silverback Web settings or alternatively exist as a local user in the system. The user(s) will receive an e-mail notification with the access data upon successful validation.
- Proceed with User Driven or Administrator Driven Enrollment
Depending on the target achievement, the enrollment flow is divided and explained as following:
User Driven Enrollment
- All invited Users will receive a new Email with Enrollment Information based on the Admin Provisioned a Device Notification for User Email Template
- Users can now scan the QR-Code or follow the instructions given in the Email
Administrator Driven Enrollment
Option 1: You are a Silverback Administrator
- Silverback Administrators will receive by default a new Email with Enrollment Information based on the Admin Provisioned a Device Notification Email Template
- Administrator can now scan the QR-Code or follow the instructions given in the Email
Ensure to have the Receive Email Alerts checkbox enabled in the Silverback Management Console
Option 2: You are not a Silverback Administrator
- Switch to the Administration Application and navigate to Integration > Enterprise Service Bus > Remote Actions
- Search for Name Add Mobile Device and open the action preview
- Search for the following entry: Pending Enrollment created for Email firstname.lastname@example.org with Otp p6tw
- To add a device on behalf to a user, open on the device the following adjusted URL: https://silverback.imagoverum.com/activate
- Enter the username and the OTP to download the profile. Follow the given device instructions.