The software contains a function to retrieve information about the licensing of the Matrix42 software from the Matrix42 web pages at regular intervals and thus to transmit calculated usage data to Matrix42 via web service.
This functions supports you identifying the number of licenses required according to your license contract with Matrix42.
Information about general business terms can be found online at www.matrix42.com.
Personal data is not collected. The data transmitted with each process can be reviewed on the server in the “metering” directory.
Following URLs are accessed:
The auto-metering function can be deactivated:
- Open application "Administration"
- Navigate to "Services & Processes / Engine Activations"
- Select engine activation “System Measurement”
- Run action “Disable”
For details on enabling and disabling engine activations, see this article.
Created metering reports are available in three formats (DAT, HTML, PDF) and can be found in the sub-folder “metering” where Software Asset & Service Management is installed on the application server.
In this section all deployed certificates are listed providing following information per certificate:
- Customer name = licensee's name
- Product = certificate name
- Count = number of licenses
- Created = issue date of certificate
- Expires = certificate expiration date (empty if unlimited)
- Key = unique ID of certificate
This section displays the number of devices with their current asset status in the system.
The number of licenses by this metric corresponds with the sum for all devices in an asset life cycle status that refers to a device that exists within the field of activity of the customer (relevant status).
Criteria used to assume relevant devices according to their status is based on following criteria:
- Asset status is relevant for license compliance OR
- Asset status is relevant for end-of-life monitoring OR
- Asset status is relevant for principal user assignment OR
- Asset status is relevant for Help Desk (status is NOT on the list of status values for "hide assets from the incident dialog...")
This criteria can be managed in global system settings of 'Asset' and 'Help Desk' applications.
Effective license requirements depend on the actual state and usage of devices in reality. Accordingly, please verify assumption and resulting numbers. Devices in "irrelevant" status values are listed for transparency.
This section displays the number of users with their current status in the system.
The number of licenses by this metric corresponds with the sum for all natural persons in a life cycle status that refers to a user that exists within the field of activity of the customer (relevant status).
Non-human service users are not relevant for licensing. Report assumes that accounts were either "password does not expire" or "user cannot change password" settings are enabled in their Active Directory accounts represent service users.
Criteria used to differentiate natural persons from irrelevant technical service users and identify irrelevant devices by their status is an indication only. Effective license requirements depend on the actual state and usage of accounts in reality. Accordingly, please verify assumption and resulting numbers.
In case that this criteria does not fit to identify service users correctly in your environment, get in touch with your Matrix42 sales representative.
Help Desk Agent Overview
This section displays the number of named users with their current status and access rights to the configuration item "Incident" in the system.
The number of licenses by this metric corresponds with the sum for all users in a life cycle status that refers to a user that exists within the field of activity of the customer having writing access to incidents (relevant status).
- User can create incidents OR
- User can write incidents OR
- User can delete incidents
SAM Tool Integration
The metering process performs following steps providing metering results for the SAM Tool's business logic:
- Fingerprints are being created for every certificate found.
- Fingerprints are being associated as "installations" to the server data record (if exists).
- Fingerprints are assigned to Software Products by LIS or manually
- Count expression of LIS License Models will be updated with relevant number from metering result:
- MATRIX42 Device
- MATRIX42 User
- MATRIX42 Help Desk Agent
It is important that these license models are downloaded from LIS. Otherwise the report will not be able to provide numbers in your license application.