The UEM Agent can be installed directly or as update via a running Advanced Agent.
Important – Please note that a downgrade to the Advanced Agent is only possible with Empirum 17.0.2.
The UEM agent does not install the Empirum Advanced Agent 17.0 or 18.0 package if the UEM Agent is also assigned. Reinstallation of the Advanced Agent via the reinstallation function is not possible in this case. To return to the Advanced Agent, remove the UEM Agent package and assign only the Advanced Agent package.
Also make sure that no older version of the UEM Agent is assigned when the newer one is installed.
The installation can be performed via package, agent push or the UEMAgent.bat file.
To install the latest UEM Agent via agent push, the variable MX42_AGENT_PUSH_PACKAGE_FOLDER must be assigned the path to the required UEM Agent version. Example: UEM Agent Windows\2011.1.2
Based on the new versioning logics, it is easier to run multiple versions in parallel, for instance, to be able to test them during roll-out of a new version step by step.
MSI packages (64bit and 32bit) are provided for the initial installation of the UEM Agent. These now include the appropriate vcredist versions (x64 and x86 for 64bit MSI and x86 for 32bit MSI). The parameters are the same as with the Advanced Agent.
UEM Agent Auto Update
As of version 1811.0, the UEM Agent supports an automatic update. Three variants for updating the UEM Agent are supported. All variants use a utility program to perform the update process smoothly.
- Installation of the assigned version.
- Automatic installation of the latest UEM Agent version integrated and released in the software depot.
- Automatic installation of the latest UEM Agent version integrated in the software vault (also not released). This can be used for pilot rollouts.
The behavior is controlled with the variable "MX42_UEM_AGENT.Auto Update".
- No - Use assigned version
- Yes - Use latest approved version
- Yes - Use latest available version (Pilot rollout)
If a fully automatic update is selected (Yes..), it is recommended not to assign a UEM Agent version, as the assigned version may no longer correspond to the actually installed version and therefore the status is yellow.
The control of the automatic installation (Yes) via the release of the package in the depot is only possible starting with Empirum 18.0.3. With older versions the release option is not considered and thus the most current version known in the depot is installed.
Agent update procedure:
- The UEM Agent checks the variable with every normal polling. There is no check:
- 30 minutes after system startup
- When the user logs in
- During manual testing for new software by the user
- Outside the maintenance time window configured in the template
- When the Software Kiosk is open
- If the variable is configured to "Yes", the UEM Agent compares the versions available in the depot (SWDepot.dds) with the locally installed version.
- "Yes - Use latest approved version" only released versions are taken into account (from Empirum 18.0.3).
- "Yes - Use latest available version (Pilot rollout)" all versions available in the depot will be taken into account.
If there is no newer version to install, the polling will continue normally.
- If the variable is configured to "No" or not, the agent update will be performed if a newer version than the locally installed one is assigned.
- The target version is downloaded.
- The UEM Agent is set to suspend mode.
- The update utility Matrix42UEMAgentUpdate.exe (in the directory Configurator\ User\UEMAgentUpdater) is started.
- Matrix42UEMAgentUpdate stops the UEM Agent and all associated processes.
- Matrix42UEMAgentUpdate uninstalls the current UEM Agent.
- Matrix42UEMAgentUpdate installs the desired (assigned or latest) UEM Agent.
- Matrix42UEMAgentUpdate exits itself.
- The UEM Agent is automatically active after installation. Suspend mode is no longer active.
Please also have a look at the flow diagram.
A downgrade to an older UEM Agent version can only take place if the variable is configured to "No - Use assigned version" and the desired, older, Agent version is distributed via "Reinstallation". Please note that "Reinstallation with previous deinstallation" must not be used under any circumstances.
Downgrade to Advanced Agent
The downgrade to the Advanced Agent is only supported with the Advanced Agent of Empirum 17.0.2 or newer.
Display of program icons (ImageMerger)
The ImageMerger program is provided with the UEM Agent. This program creates two files on the Empirum Master Server which are used to display the icons. The UEM Agent copies them from the local EmpirumAgent Cache into the directory of the UEM Agent.
From Empirum Version 18.0, the creation of the IconMap files on the Empirum Server is automated by a service. This makes the program ImageMerger obsolete.
Using the ImageMerger:
- Copy the unpacked directory ImageMerger to \ Empirum \ AddOns \.
- Run PowerShell script "ImageMerge.ps1" with Powershell.
- The program parses the SWDepot.dds for the specified icon parameters and extracts the image files. All image files are saved in the file IconMap.png and a reference to the coordinates of the respective software package is noted in the file IconMap.css. Both files are stored in the Configurator \ User directory.
- The UEM Agent uses this file to display the appropriate icon for the respective software package. A newer file will be read in after logging in the user.
- Changes to the depot require the ImageMerge Powershell script to be run again.