You can add material records manually and import them in bulk in the Contracts application under Procurement > Material.
Running the Import action
Execute the Import Materials action under the Procurement > Material navigation item:
- The Quick Import wizard will open.
- On the first page keep the Use existing import definition checkbox selected.
- Then click the Download Template File link.
- Open the file and fill in the data to be imported into the system.
- Upload this file.
- Follow through with the other steps of the wizard.
- After you click the Import button, the system will process the data. Upon completion you will see the import result message and a link to an import log file.
The Quick Import concept indicates that records can be imported from the corresponding navigation item by running the Import action. To be able to import records for any configuration item, an import definition for this configuration item must exist. An import definition sets the rules for importing data.
Common rules to consider when editing the import template file:
- Culture context of the data: when entering the text, consider the language specified in the quick import settings. It is important especially if the Excel file is uploaded as it may contain country-specific data such as dates, number formats, or currencies.
- Ambiguous values for matching attributes: if no or more than one matching values are found during processing of data, the value that is specified in the data source file is not saved to the system database.
Explanation of the import template
All imported data can be modified manually in the user interface.
|Field Name||Explanation||Maximum Character Length|
|Key||Required: alphanumeric string for logical identification of a material record. This information is a key field, which means that it is used by the import process to determine whether to create a data set or whether to update the existing, matching data set.||50|
|Name||Required: alphanumeric string for the name of a material record.||200|
|Group||Enter the key of the respective material group. The link to the material group is created automatically during the import. If more than one or no applicable material group is found, the value that is specified here is not saved.|
|Supplier Number||Internal Account of the respective supplier known in the system as a business partner. The link to the supplier is created automatically during the import. If more than one or no applicable supplier is found, the value that is specified here is not saved.|
|Article Order Number||Alphanumeric article number or purchase order number that is used by the supplier.||200|
|Qty Unit||Name of the quantity unit. Link to one of the quantity units that are available in the system is created by using the name. Options supported by default are:
|Unit Price||Numeric value for the unit price. To ensure correct entry for this value, consider the language set for the user interface (that is, if English is the set language, a decimal point should be used, not a comma).||11 characters before and 2 characters after the decimal point/comma|
|Currency||ISO currency code of the unit price. For correct data import make sure that the entered currency is available the system.||Alphanumeric, 3 characters|
|EAN||The international article number, also known as European Article Number. Optionally, set EAN as a 12- or 13-digit product identification code.|
|ECCN||Export Control Classification Number is a five-character alphanumeric identifier in the American Commerce Control List (CCL) of the Bureau of Industry and Security for export goods that are subject to American export control law.|
Example of importing materials
The given example is a filled-out template imported for the English (United States) [es_US] culture context:
The successfully completed import results in the following records in the Material navigation item:
All Material records are imported with status Active.