Matrix42 Empirum v21.0
This Empirum ISO provides the following installation and update options:
- Complete new installation of Matrix42 Empirum v21.0.
- Update from Matrix42 Empirum v20.0.x
- Update from Matrix42 Empirum v19.0.3
Executing the update to Matrix42 Empirum v21.0
- Mount the ISO on the master server and start the update by double-clicking the Autorun.exe file. If User Account Control (UAC) is active, Autorun.exe must be run as administrator (context menu > Run as administrator).
- Select the desired installation language.
- Select the Update option and also in the following window.
The installation wizard opens.
- Confirm with Yes.
- Confirm all the following windows with Next.
- Select the existing installation directory and click Next.
- Click Finish.
After the update, you will receive a message that the installation was completed successfully.
- Restart the server.
First actions via Matrix42 DBUtil
When updating the database, the sysadmin SQL server role is no longer required. Only the dbo role (database owner) is needed.
During the initial creation of databases (EmpLocations, location database), the server permission CREATE ANY DATABASE or the dbcreator role is also required.
Make sure that the databases EmpLocations and the locations are used with the same authentication method in DBUtil.
This does not affect the login to the Matrix42 Management Console, where both methods can be used mixed.
Update EmpLocations Database
- After restarting the server, you can start Matrix42 DBUtil via the desktop icon DBUtil, or via Start > Programs > Empirum > Tools > Matrix42 DBUtil to log in to the EmpLocations database.
- You receive a message that the structure of the location table is outdated. Confirm the message with Yes.
The main window of Matrix42 DBUtil appears.
Update Location Database(s)
- Click on the location you want to update and log in to the location database.
- Click the Update tables icon on the toolbar.
Note that virus scanners can greatly extend the update process.
- If a backup of the location database has not yet taken place shortly before the update, you must absolutely confirm here with Yes!
- The location database has been updated, confirm the message with OK.
Please note that all databases must have version 21.00 / 3-0-0 after the update in order to work error-free with the Matrix42 Empirum v21.0 version!
If you have multiple locations, you must repeat this procedure to update each individual location.
After updating to Matrix42 Empirum v21.0, all services must be reinstalled.
- Click the Install/Configure services icon in the toolbar.
- Select the services (except PXE, TFTP, DeviceDiscovery) that are required for your environment and then click the Install button.
- After successful installation of the selected services, you will receive a message that all services have been installed or updated.
- Install the PXE and DeviceDiscovery service (if used) on the master server from the Install context menu.
- Install the Empirum ServiceBus service (if used) on the master server to benefit from the new feature enhancements. Make sure that the Service Bus settings are set
- Install the DeviceDiscovery service on all other servers where DeviceDiscovery is installed using the Install context menu.
All PXE/TFTP services on the Empirum Depot servers are to be installed via the software package Subdepot PXE Service.
- If you have more than one location to choose from, repeat the procedure to update services for each location.
Further actions after updating the Empirum server
Update the Matrix42 Reports via DBUtil:
DBUtil > Actions > Configure Reporting Services > Install.
If necessary, adjust the port, SSL, and database authentication settings.
Matrix42 Empirum v21.0 Directory Structure
The following files are stored with the extension *.new:
Post-command for OS-Installation:
- Configurator\User\EmpirumAgent.bat → Configurator\User\EmpirumAgent.new
- Configurator\User\UEMAgent.bat → Configurator\User\UEMAgent.new
If you have made adjustments in the original batch files, transfer them to the *.new file. Then delete the *.bat file and rename the *.new file to *.bat.
If you have not made any adjustments, delete the *.bat files and rename the *.new files to *.bat.
The following files are stored with the extension *.000, *.001 etc.
Files with this extension are only stored if there is already a file with the same name in the destination.
- Empirum DBUtil\Empirum DBUtil.ini
If you have made adjustments in these files, you must transfer the changes from the backup files (*.000) to the new files listed above. After that, all files with the extension *.000 etc. can be deleted.
During the update, the contents of the Manual directory will be moved to Empirum > Manual_Backup.
Check PXE Activation
In the Matrix42 Management Cosnole (EMC) > Administration, check the filter PXE > Enabled and correct any entries you do not want.
Perform a Check Versions of the software packages: EMC > Configuration > Software Management > Depot > Extras > Check Versions and confirm the changes.
Update the Infrastructure Packages
Update the following packages on the depot servers:
- Empirum Subdepot 21.0
- Empirum Subdepot Webservice Configuration 21.0 (if used)
- Empirum Subdepot PXE Service 21.0 (if used)
- Empirum Subdepot WOL Service 21.0 (if used)
Update Matrix42 Management Console
Update the Matrix42 Management Console on the appropriate workstations.
Update Web Console
Update the Empirum Web Console via the appropriate package.
Reinstall Client Components
When updating to Matrix42 Empirum v21.0, all client components on the managed computers must be updated. Please refer to the document Update of the Client Components - Best Practice.
The UEM Agent is registered as not released in the depot after the update to prevent automatic rollouts when using the autoupdate feature. Only computers configured with the MX42_UEM_Agent / Auto Update / Yes - Use latest available version (Pilot rollout) option receive the new UEM Agent automatically. Release the UEM Agent as soon as it is to be rolled out generally.
The Empirum Packaging Center 21.0 package can only be installed successfully if older versions of the package have been uninstalled before.
Create new WinPE boot configurations to take advantage of the new feature enhancements.
The latest PreOS packages are NOT automatically imported when updating to Empirum v21.0. You will find the latest PreOS packages in the known directory and can import them via the EMC import as usual.
If you have manually made changes under
.\EmpInst\Sys\Images\WinPE (e.g. adjustment to the BCD), these changes must be made again.
The previous folder will be saved under the name "WinPE_Backup" during the update.
Please check the latest available Addon components:
- UEM Agent: https://marketplace.matrix42.com/details/uem-agent-windows-release/
- WinPE: https://marketplace.matrix42.com/de/details/winpe/
- UUX for SUEM: https://marketplace.matrix42.com/unified-endpoint-management/uux-for-uem/
- Matrix42 SDK: https://marketplace.matrix42.com/de/details/empirum-software-development-kit-sdk/
- Matrix42 Package Robot: https://marketplace.matrix42.com/details/package-robot/