You can automate subscription management for Microsoft Office 365 by importing subscriptions (licenses) and subscribers (authorized users) into Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management. The Microsoft Office 365 Data Provider integrates with the Microsoft Office 365 Portal.
The Data Provider connects with the SaaS Compliance Cloud Interface powered by MyWorkspace. See this article if you want to configure this interface for connection to your Microsoft Office 365 Portal.
It is possible to configure multiple Office 365 tenants using separate Data Provider configurations.
The Microsoft Office 365 Data Provider is delivered as an add-on to Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management and can be downloaded from Marketplace.
To install the data provider:
- Log in as Administrator to Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management server.
- Ensure that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 is installed
- Download and unpack the zip archive.
- Run Office365ComplianceInstaller as Administrator.
- Make sure that installation path was defined correctly.
- When a credentials window opens, enter again your credentials with administrator rights.
- Once the installation finishes, perform iisreset.
After the installation, all logged in users should log out and log in again to continue working with Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management.
Get your Microsoft Office 365 Tenant ID
The Office 365 Tenant ID is the directory ID of the Azure Active Directory.
You can find it by following the steps provided in the online documentation provided by Microsoft: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-your-Office-365-tenant-ID-6891b561-a52d-4ade-9f39-b492285e2c9b (external link).
Alternatively, you also find it in your MyWorkspace instance. Open MyWorksapce and navigate to Administration -> Connectors and click on the Azure Active Directory connector. You will find the directory ID as part of the URL:
Configuring and Activating the Office 365 Data Provider
To configure the Data Provider:
- Open the Administration application and go to Integration > Data Providers.
- Double-click the Microsoft Office 365 Data Provider to open it. The page contains the Configurations list where configurations for this provider can be managed.
- Create a new configuration. A new dialog will open.
- On the General page, select Enable import and proceed to the Settings page.
- On the Settings page, do the following:
- Select the organizational unit.
- Leave the Change connection settings checkbox selected while you are editing data on the page. When you are done, you can clear it for safety reasons.
- Click Get Tenant Identifier and Client Secret. After the login, the Tenant Identifier and Client Secret fields will be filled in.
- Enter your Office 365 Tenant ID in the corresponding field.
- Save you changes for the configuration and the Data Provider.
- Run the Enable action for the Data Provider.
To activate the import, click the Activate action for the Microsoft Office 365 Data Provider.
Tracking the Import Progress
To view the current status of imports:
- Open the configuration of the Microsoft Office 365 Data Provider for editing.
- Go to Job History page. It displays all instances of importing data from the Microsoft Office 365 solution.
After you have activated the Data Provider, you can manage subscriptions and subscribers in the Licenses Application.