Endpoint devices are the computers that are used in your company, such as desktops and laptops. You can add new computers and manage existing ones under Assets > Computers. The system provides the pre-defined structure for computers:
- All: All computers that have been created in Matrix42 Workspace Management.
- Physical Devices: Physical machines that are identified by an empty value in the Host Computer field.
- Virtual Devices: Virtual machines whose host is specified in the Host Computer field of a relevant properties dialog.
- Organizational Unit, Cost Center, Location: If you create a new computer, you can link it by the corresponding button to the respective organizational unit, cost center, and location. For existing configuration items, you can create a link only by clicking Change Ownership in the action pane.
- Proprietary: Define whether the computer is a private device that is used for personal purposes or a company device that is used for business purposes.
- Name: Name of the asset.
- Inventory Number: Number under which this asset is inventoried in your company.
- Serial Number: Unique manufacturer's number for identification purposes.
- Assumed End of Life: Predicted service life of the asset. The system calculates the date automatically.
- Stock Keeping Unit: Reference to the specific computer model on which the asset is based.
- Status: Current status of the computer. If you create a new computer, you can select its status from a list. For existing computers, you can change the status only in the action pane by clicking Change Status.
- Principal User: Employee who is the main user of this asset. This definition is primarily informative for the question: which employee is responsible for the corresponding asset? Secondarily, this definition influences the automatic determination of the main user for some license models, such as Named User (in License Management).
- Automatic principal user assignment: The checkbox is displayed if the Enable automatic assignment of principal user checkbox is selected in Global System Settings. It indicates whether a principal user for the selected computer is managed automatically by the system or can be assigned only manually. The checkbox value is edited by using the Manage Principal User action.
- Business Impact: Impact on operations in case of an incident (regarding the User, Workgroup, or Company).
- Workplace: Workplace where this asset is used.
- Power State: The current operational state of the computer. If a value in the Computer Role field is Server, the Power State field determines whether license requirements will be created for this computer. For servers in the Powered Off and Suspended states, license requirements will not be created.
- Environment: Environment to which this asset is assigned.
- Description: Additional description of the asset.
- Management Type: Select whether you normally edit the data of such assets manually or import it from a connected system by using a connector.
- Remote Control: The field specifies which software can be used to control the client remotely. The available software and settings can be found in Administration > Quick Start > Global System Settings > Remote Control.
- Installation Type: Describes how applications are initially installed on this computer, such as "Image XYZ" or "manual".
- Host Computer: For virtual computers, specify a link to another computer that serves as a physical host for the selected computer. This definition is used in License Management for automatic correlation of virtual instances in some license models, such as Enterprise Server + CAL/EC.
- Computer Role: Role of this computer in the data center. The value can be changed by the user at any time. It is also updated by the automatic import of inventory data, but only in cases when the current value is Unknown.
- Domain: Network domain to which the computer account is assigned.
- Computer Name: Name of the computer account in the network.
- Computer Name (NT 3.5x/4.0): Name of the computer account in the network (Windows NT).
- Account Status: Status of the computer account in the network.
- Active Directory Path: Identification of the computer account in Active Directory.
- Trusted for delegation: Select this checkbox if the named domain can be trusted.
- DNS Name: Unique name of the computer in the network (includes domain information).
- IP Address: Current network address of the computer.
- Subnet Mask: Definition of valid subnet masks in network for this computer.
- Standard Gateway: Definition of the gateway to the network that is valid for this computer.
- DNS Server List: Names of valid computers for name resolution in the network.
As a rule, this data is read from the computer and stored here, which means that this information is normally not handled manually.
Equipment Data provides the specifications about the inventoried computer.
- Manufacturer: Manufacturer of the computer.
- Model: Name of the computer model.
- Year of Manufacture: Year when the computer was manufactured.
- Serial Number: Unique number of the computer that is defined by the manufacturer.
Operating System outlines the information about the operating system that is installed on this computer.
- System: Name of the operating system.
- Manufacturer: Manufacturer of the operating system.
- Language: Language of the software.
- Activation Key: The product key that activates the operating system for this computer. The value is filled in as a result of inventory data import.
- Patch State: Name of current update of the operating system.
- Version: Version number of the operating system.
- Used for hosting of virtual machines only: Select the checkbox if this operating system is used solely for managing hosted virtual machines. This value is important for some license models where the software publisher defines relevant specific terms.
Performance summarizes the basic information about the processors that are used on this computer.
- Processor: Name of the processor.
- No. of CPU Sockets: Number of processor slots that are available on the main board.
- No. of CPU Cores: Number of processor cores per slot that are used on this computer.
- CPU Type: Type of main processor that is used on this computer.
- Microsoft Core Value: This field is non-editable. Its value is calculated automatically according to the core-based licensing model as defined by Microsoft. It is relevant for some license models and is also used for informational purposes.
- Clock Rate: Clock frequency of the processor.
- Hyperthreading: If a computer supports hyperthreading, it means that its operating system addresses each physical processor core as two logical cores. This technology allows a physical processor to double the number of execution instances that can be run simultaneously. The value of the checkbox is relevant for some license models.
- Main Memory (MB): Size of main memory that is installed on this computer.
BIOS provides the specifications about the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) that is installed on this computer.
- Manufacturer: Manufacturer of the BIOS.
- Version Number: Version number of the BIOS.
- Version Date: Version date of the BIOS.
- ACPI support: Select this checkbox if the BIOS supports ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).
- APM support: Select this checkbox if the BIOS supports APM (Advanced Power Management).
- DMI support: Select this checkbox if the BIOS supports DMI (Desktop Management Interface).
User Logins: The latest user account(s) that logged onto this computer.
- Inventory Status: The results of the latest scanning that was done by a Data Gateway for this computer. The latest result is supplied per each Data Provider that is configured for this computer.
- Inventory Log: If the scanning attempt that is currently selected in the Inventory Status list is unsuccessful, this field contains the detailed error description. For successful scans, the field is empty.
- Installed Applications: List of applications that are installed on this computer.
- Ports/Slots: List of ports and slots that are available for extensions on this computer.
- Graphics Card: List of graphics cards that are used on this computer.
- Memory: List of memory usage on this computer.
- Hard Disk: List of hard disks that are available on this computer.
- Disk Partition: List of hard disk partitions that are used on this computer.
- Optical Drive: List of optical drives that are available on this computer.
Floppy Disk Drive
- Available: Select this checkbox if this computer has a floppy disk drive.
- Capacity (MB): Capacity of the floppy disk drive in megabytes.
- Primary MAC Address: Unique identification of the primary network adapter that is used for network access.
- Available Network Cards: List of network cards that are used on this computer.
- Communication Interfaces: List of internal modems that are used by this computer.
Enter purchase information of the asset if you do not want to link it to a contract item from the contract management system. This data is purely informative and is not processed by the system.
- Purchase Contract: Purchase contract that was signed for the acquirement of this asset.
- Supplier: Supplier or company with which a contractual agreement was signed. You manage suppliers under Master Data > Business Relationships > Business Partner.
- Internal Contact: Person in your company who maintains contact with suppliers.
- Year of Manufacture: Year when the asset was manufactured.
- Acquisition Date: Date when the asset was purchased.
- Warranty End Date: Date when the warranty period of the asset expires.
- Actual End of Life: Actual date when the service life of the asset ends.
- Assumed End of Life: Predicted service life of the asset. The system calculates the date automatically.
- Date, Number, and Item of the order.
- Date, Number, and Item of the delivery.
- Date, Number, and Item of the invoice, and the Purchase Price.
- Cost Plans: Costs that are planned for the asset.
- Cost projection derived from plans above: Cost projection that is made by the system based on the specified cost plans.
Comments about your activities that are related to this configuration item. You cannot change the journal entries after they are made.
Comments and notes of a general nature. You can edit these entries later.
Any documents can be attached to the record for future use.
On the Related Objects dialog pages, you can manage all configuration items that are related to the asset.
- SIM Cards: A list of SIM cards that are attached to and used with this computer.
- Virtualization: This dialog page lists different information depending on whether the computer is a physical or virtual machine. For a physical machine, it contains a list of virtual computers that currently operate on this host and a list of computers that have been hosted earlier. For a virtual machine, it is a history of computers that have hosted this virtual machine.
- Accounts & User: User accounts that are assigned to this asset.
- AD Groups: Active Directory groups to which the asset is assigned.
- Peripherals: Peripherals (such as a scanner) that are assigned to this asset.
- Contract Items: Contract items that refer to this asset.
- Dependencies: Assigned services, computers, and peripherals on which the asset depends.
- Current Availability: Use this option to define the availability via the selection list (Available, Partially Available, Unavailable (Planned), Unavailable (Unplanned), and Unknown).
- Committed Availability: Here you can specify the committed availability in percent, e.g., 85.
- Performance: Here you can specify the performance in percent, e.g., 90.
- Licenses: The dialog page provides information on related licenses and license requirements. The License Requirements list contains all license requirements for which the computer is a target consumer. Under Licenses Restricted to the Device you can add, delete, and open licenses that have this computer specified on the Device Restriction dialog page. Licenses that have this computer specified on the Reservations dialog page can be added, deleted, and opened under Licenses Reserved for the Device.
- Services: Services from Matrix42 Service Catalog that are assigned to this asset.
- Appointments: Appointments that are related to this configuration item.
- Outages: Displays a calendar which can be set by Day, Week, and Month (default setting is Week). The calendar shows all changes where this computer is included as related computer.
- Primary Affected Incidents: All incidents where the asset is entered as reported or actually affected object.
- Indirectly Affected Incidents: All incidents where the asset is entered as related object.
- Problems: All problems where the asset is entered as related object.
- Change Requests: All change requests where the asset is entered as related object.
- Tasks: All tasks where the asset is entered as related object.
In the action pane, you can access the actions that are available for computers.
- Establish Remote Connection: Establish a remote maintenance session with this computer by using Matrix42 Remote Control. Matrix42 Remote Control should be installed and correctly configured for this purpose.
- Show Dependencies: View the defined dependencies in an interactive chart.
- Create Task: You create a task from a configuration item. The task is then automatically linked to this configuration item.
- Change Management Type: Select whether you manage the data of this asset manually or import it from a connected system by using a connector.
- Change Ownership: Change the organizational, commercial and regional assignment by using a wizard. Rebook the corresponding services. By applying this action, you can also change the ownership for related peripheral devices.
- Manage Principal User: Change the main user by using a wizard. Rebook the corresponding services. By applying this action, you can change the principal user for related peripheral devices as well. The action can also be used to customize the automatic assignment of principal user for the selected computer if the automatic assignment is activated under Administration > Quick Start > Global System Settings > Assets.
- Change Status: Change the status of the asset by using a wizard. By applying this action, you can also change the status for related peripheral devices.
- Complete Computer Inventory: View the technical data that is currently stored in the inventory system for the computer.
- Copy Object: In a wizard, create a copy of the selected asset to serve as a template for creating a new asset. The following properties are copied:
- Stock Keeping Unit
- Organizational Unit
- Cost Center
- Internal Contact
- Order Date
- Order Number
- Order Item
- Delivery Date
- Delivery Number
- Delivery Item
- Invoice Date
- Invoice Number
- Purchase Price
- Depreciation (Cost projection)
- Relations with Contract Items
- Import: Import the list of computers from MS Excel by using the predefined import sequence and template.
The most important key data of the asset is listed in the action pane under Object Details.
- Computer: Name and status of the computer.
- OrgUnit: Organizational assignment of the selected configuration item.
- Cost Center: Commercial assignment of the selected configuration item.
- Location: Regional assignment of the selected configuration item.
- Summary: Master data of the asset from the entries on the General dialog page.
- Related Objects: Other configuration items that are related to this configuration item. You can access these items directly from the action pane by using the displayed hyperlink. Can have the following link:
- Attachments: Number of attachments that are related to the asset. Click the link to open the Attachments dialog page of the asset.