The Check Prerequisites dialog verifies whether all necessary prerequisites for successful installation are fulfilled. If some prerequisites are missing, you should cancel or suspend the installation and get the required installation packages either from the enclosed redistributables or from the Microsoft Download Center.
For more information on all hardware requirements, refer to Hardware Sizing.
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1 contain core data access components such as the Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB provider and ODBC driver. Download MDAC 2.8 SP1 free of charge from the Microsoft website.
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-Bit (including Service Pack 2 or greater)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 64-Bit (including Service Pack 2 or greater)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-Bit (including Service Pack 1 or greater)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-Bit (including Service Pack 1 or greater)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard 64-Bit (including R2)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Datacenter 64-Bit (including R2)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
Internet Information Services [IIS]
The Internet Information Services 7.0 service is a component of the operating system. To install it, click Start > Control Panel > Software > Windows Components. IIS 7 requires the following additional components: Windows Authentication, IIS Management Console, IIS Metabase, and IIS 6 Configuration Compatibility.
IIS URL Rewrite 2.0
With IIS URL Rewrite 2.0, Web administrators can create powerful rules to implement URLs that are easier for users to remember and easier for search engines to find. Download IIS URL Rewrite 2.0 free of charge from the Microsoft IIS website.
2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components
Data Connectivity Components facilitate transfer of data between 2007 Microsoft Office System files and non-Microsoft Office applications. Matrix42 Workspace Management uses this set of components to support the import from .xlsx files in GDIE import definitions. Download 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components free of charge from the Microsoft website. For more information, see the Importing Data chapter of the Administration manual.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
Self Service Portal and UUX:
|Edge||2 most recent major versions|
|Safari||2 most recent major versions|
|iOS||2 most recent major versions|
Lollipop (5.0, 5.1)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 is also required for clients with access to the Workflow Studio.
Supported Database Systems
Please note that support of SQL Server 2008 R2 is discontinued with release 9.0.1.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Standard (Service Pack 1 or greater)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise (Service Pack 1 or greater)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (Service Pack 1)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (Service Pack 1)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (on Windows only)
Express Version of SQL Server 2012 is NOT supported because of the missing components.
Microsoft SQL Server is used to store data. You can install it either locally or on a networked system. Before you install Matrix42 Workspace Management, you should completely install and start Microsoft SQL Reporting Services, full-text search, and SQL Server Agent. Perform configuration with the Reporting Services Configuration and test access to the Web pages of your reporting services. It might be necessary to create a demo database for this purpose. Microsoft Analysis Services are also required for Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management.
Analysis Services need to be configured to run in “Multidimensional” mode to avoid update or installation issues. For more information on how to determine if “Tabular” or “Multidimensional” mode is configured, see the Microsoft article.
The SQL Server should operate in the mixed mode [SQL Server and Windows authentication mode]. Use the
Latin1_General_CI_AS language scheme ("collation").
You should enable the required client protocols before you install Matrix42 Workspace Management. To do it, go to SQL Server Configuration > SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration to enable the TCP/IP protocol and to SQL Server Configuration > SQL Server Network Configuration to enable the Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols. Then you should restart the SQL server service.
To avoid performance issues, it is recommended to set SQL Server processor affinity for half of the processors. This will eliminate processor reloads and reduce thread migration across processors.
Microsoft ADOMD.NET is a Microsoft ADO.NET data provider with add-ons for online analysis services and data mining. ADOMD.NET is supplied during an all-in-one installation by installing SQL Server, but it should be installed manually on the application server in a distributed environment. In case of distributed installations on a 64-bit Windows server, you should install the 64-bit version, e.g., SQLSERVER2008_ASADOMD10_x64, on the application server. You can also find the respective installation files in the installation directory or download them free of charge from the Microsoft website: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP1 Feature Pack or Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Feature Pack.
Microsoft System CLR Types
The SQL Server System CLR Types package contains components for implementing the geometry, geography and hierarchy ID types in SQL Server 2008 R2. You can install these components separately from the server so that client applications can use these types. Download SQLSysClrTypes.msi from the Microsoft website: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP1 Feature Pack or Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Feature Pack.
Run the following script on the SQL Server:
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1; RECONFIGURE; GO sp_configure 'clr enabled', 1; GO RECONFIGURE; GO
For more information, see Enabling CLR Integration on Microsoft SQL Server 2014 and Enabling CLR Integration on Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
Shared Management Objects (SMO)
SQL Server Shared Management Objects (SMO) are an object model for the .NET Framework. Software developers use it to create client applications for managing and administrating the SQL server objects. Download SharedManagementObjects.msi from the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP1 Feature Pack or Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Feature Pack.
Microsoft Web Deploy
The Web Deploy (msdeploy) tool simplifies the migration, administration, and provisioning of IIS Web servers, Web applications, and Web sites. Download Microsoft Web Deploy free of charge from the Microsoft website: Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0.
Microsoft AppFabric for Windows Server is a collection of integrated technologies that simplify the creation, scaling, and administration of Web applications and composite applications for execution under IIS. Download Microsoft AppFabric free of charge from the Microsoft website: Microsoft AppFabric 1.1.
You should install the Microsoft hotfix under Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (not Windows Server 2008 R2).
The installation wizard verifies the prerequisites to determine whether this hotfix is installed. If not, an alert is displayed and the installation will continue only after the hotfix is installed accordingly (this requires a server reboot!). Without this hotfix it will be impossible to configure the databases during the setup.
Windows PowerShell Snap-In (PowerShell 3.0)
With PowerShell Snap-In for IIS 7.0, Web administrators and hosting providers can easily automate both simple and complex administration tasks for IIS 7.0, such as website creation and administration of configuration and runtime data via Windows PowerShell. The administrators can use the cmdlets that are included in the Windows PowerShell Snap-In to increase their productivity. Download Windows PowerShell Snap-In from the Microsoft IIS website.
Required Components for the Web Application
For Windows Server 2008 and greater, you should specify configuration settings in the Server Manager:
- Click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Server Manager.
- Under Server Manager, select Features.
- Select Add Feature > .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features, Message Queuing Server, and Directory Service Integration, and confirm any suggested Role Services if applicable:
- Under Server Manager, select Roles.
- Click Add Roles, and then select Web Server (IIS).
- Select the following Role Services and confirm and install any suggested Role Services if applicable:
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows PowerShell > Windows PowerShell and select Run as Administrator. Enter the following string in the Console window, and then click ENTER and Yes to confirm:
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -scope LocalMachine
- You should control the Windows services after each reboot. To do it, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. In the Properties window of the NetMsmqActivator service, set the Startup type option to Automatic, and then start the service manually (for the first time).
Recommended Installation Sequence
Before you install Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management, please perform the following steps:
- Install Microsoft SQL Server and specify all required features and roles.
- On the application server, install the required components that are specified here.
- In case of distributed environments, ensure that the service user is a member of an Active Directory group, as described in Preparations.
Registered users can download the free software components (REDIST.zip) from the Matrix42 website. After you unpack the archive, you will see that the file names are already numbered in the correct sequence for your convenience. You should always install the components in the given sequence, as the components depend on each other:
- .NET 4.5.1
- Microsoft System CLR Types
- Microsoft Shared Management Objects (SMO) - requires CLR Types / ADOMD.NET
- MDAC 2.6
- Install the integrated Windows Server AppFabric technology collection (it is not necessary to install the Cache Client feature, please disable the Start Configuration Tool option). Ensure that the AppFabric services (AppFabricEventCollectionService, AppFabricWorkflowManagementService) are started after the installation (usually this requires a reboot).
- Web Deploy - requires CLR Types/SMO
- Install the WebDeploy tool (choose the Complete setup type).
- IIS URL Rewrite 2.0
- 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components
It is also possible to install all of these components automatically by using the PowerShell script:
- Update the execution policy by using the Set-ExecutionPolicy.ps1 file, i.e. copy the command from this file, paste it to the PowerShell Console and run as administrator.
- Run either Redistribution_SQL_2008.ps1 or Redistribution_SQL_2012.ps1, depending on your SQL Server version.
All three files are available in your REDIST folder as well.