The System Prerequisites dialog of the system installation wizard verifies whether all necessary prerequisites for successful installation are fulfilled. If some prerequisites are missing, you should cancel or suspend the installation and get the required installation packages either from the enclosed redistributables or from the Microsoft Download Center.
Before you install Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management, please perform the following steps:
- Install Microsoft SQL Server and specify all required features and roles.
- On the application server, install the required components that are specified here.
- In case of distributed environments, ensure that the service user is a member of an Active Directory group, as described in Preparations.
The system prerequisites described on this page are common for the installation of different versions of the Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management system.
This document shows how to configure the server on the example of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Enterprise edition and install all necessary components before running the Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management setup for the "All-in-one" environment. The settings and user interface might differ depending on the installed OS, SQL Server version and the described steps may require adjustments. Most steps include a minimal configuration that is enough to have the Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management system up and running.
For more information on all hardware requirements, refer to the Hardware Sizing page.
Supported Operating Systems
For installing web-, application- and database server for Software Asset & Service Management the following editions and versions of Windows Server are supported until the End of Extended Support provided by Microsoft.
Only 64-bit Operating Systems are supported.
|Edition/Version||Released||End of Basic Support||End of Extended Support|
|2012 Standard / Datacenter
|2012 Standard R2/ Datacenter
|2016 Standard / Datacenter
|2019 Standard / Datacenter
Source: Microsoft Lifecycle Policy.
Matrix42 Software Asset &
Service Management version
Self Service Portal
|10.0.0 and higher||-||-||
Supported Database Systems
For Software Asset & Service Management following editions and versions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported until the End of Extended Support provided by Microsoft.
|Edition/Version||Released||End of Basic Support||End of extended Support|
|2012 Standard / Enterprise SP4||20.05.2012||11.07.2017||12.07.2022|
|2014 Standard / Enterprise SP3||05.06.2014||09.07.2019||09.07.2024|
|2016 Standard / Enterprise SP2||01.06.2016||13.07.2021||14.07.2026|
|2017 Standard / Enterprise (Win)||29.09.2017||11.10.2022||12.10.2027|
|2019 Standard / Enterprise (Win)||04.11.2019||07.01.2025||08.01.2030|
Source: Microsoft Lifecycle Policy.
Express and other editions of SQL Server are NOT supported.
In case you are installing a SQL Server 2012 in a distributed environment the SQL Server Native Client needs to be installed on the application server as well. The client can be downloaded from the Microsoft portal.
Before you install Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management, you should completely install and start:
- SQL Server with Analysis Services and Full-text search features;
- Turn on the automatic start of SQL Server Agent and other SQL-related services;
- Adjust SQL Server Configuration Manager settings;
- Configure SQL Server Reporting Services;
- Install SQL Server Management Studio (optional);
- Configure Internet Information Services;
- Install required Setup & Runtime Redistributables.
These steps are described below.
SQL Server Installation
- Open the SQL Server Installation Center → Installation section and run SQL server setup:
- Click Next and apply suggested options to proceed to the Feature Selection section.
- Select the Full-Text Search and Analysis Services features as shown on the image below and click Next:
- In Server Configuration section → Service Accounts tab set the Startup Type for all suggested SQL-related services to Automatic:
The Startup Type can also be changed later as described in the Starting Services section of this page.
- In Server Configuration section → Collation tab use
- "Latin1_General_CI_AS" or
During the migration or update make sure that all Matrix42 product-related databases have the same collation!
- language scheme:
- In Database Engine Configuration section → in Server Configuration tab:
- Set the SQL Server to operate in the Mixed Mode (SQL Server and Windows authentication mode);
- Specify the password for the SQL Server account;
- Specify necessary SQL Server administrators or add the current user and click Next:
- Analysis Services need to be configured to run in “Multidimensional” mode. For more information on how to determine if “Tabular” or “Multidimensional” mode is required, see the Microsoft article.
Specify necessary Analysis Server administrators, who will be granted the database owner rights during the Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management setup or add the current user and click Next:
- Restart the system to apply installed changes.
Open Services to configure and start Windows services. Set all of the SQL-related services Startup Type to Automatic:
- Right-click the service to open the context menu;
- Open Properties;
- Set Startup Type to Automatic;
- In the Service Status section, click Start button to run the service.
SQL Server Configuration Manager
Enable the required client protocols before you install Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management. To do it, open the SQL Server Configuration Manager:
- In SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration, enable the TCP/IP protocol;
- In SQL Server Network Configuration, enable the Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols.
- Restart the SQL server service.
Additionally, you can Force Encrypt the SQL Server connection in the SQL Server network configuration as described here.
To avoid performance issues, it is recommended to set SQL Server processor affinity for half of the processors.
Reporting Services Configuration
Open the SQL Server Installation Center to install and configure the Reporting Services and test access to the Web pages of your reporting services.
- Download and run the Reporting Services installation file from the suggested by the SQL Server Installation Center link;
- Restart the computer once the installation is completed;
- Run Report Server Configuration Manager:
- In the Web Service URL section, click Apply to accept the default settings or adjust if necessary:
Learn how to remove unsecured HTTP connection for Web Service URL here.
The successfully applied configuration activates the Report Server Web Service URL link:
If the URL remains unavailable, complete the Reporting Services configuration and restart the computer.
- In the Database section, click Change Database and create a new report server database.
Follow the instructions of the wizard to apply the default settings. For more information about the Reporting Services configuration watch this video tutorial.
- In the Web Portal URL section, click Apply:
Learn how to remove unsecured HTTP connection for Web Service URL here.
The successfully applied configuration activates the Web Portal URL link:
- The Reporting Services configuration is completed.
If the Web Portal URL remains unavailable restart the computer.
SQL Server Management Studio
Optionally, install SQL Server Management Studio which is an integrated environment for managing SQL infrastructure.
Open the SQL Server Installation Center → Installation section and click Install SQL Server Management Tools.
Download and run the suggested installation file. Follow the instructions of the installation wizard to complete the setup.
Internet Information Services [IIS]
The Internet Information Services service is a component of the operating system.
- To install IIS, open Server Manager → Dashboard → Add roles and features:
- Proceed to the Server Roles tab and select the roles to install as shown on the wizard example:
- IIS requires the following additional components: Windows Authentication, IIS Management Console, IIS Metabase, and IIS 6 Configuration Compatibility.
Select all necessary components as shown on the Server Roles configuration example:
- Click Next.
- Proceed to the Features tab and select .NET Framework 4.5 Features, Message Queuing Server, and Directory Service Integration:
- Click Next and Install to Confirm installation selections:
- If necessary, restart the destination server to apply changes.
- Configure the PowerShell Execution Policy to allow local PowerShell scripts to run.
Click Start → Windows PowerShell and select Run as Administrator. Enter the following string in the Console window, and then click ENTER and Yes to confirm:
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -scope LocalMachine
Setup & Runtime Redistributables
Download the Setup & Runtime Redistributables from the Matrix42 Marketplace . After you unpack the archive, you will see that the file names are already numbered in the correct sequence for your convenience. You should always install the components in the given sequence, as the components depend on each other.
Recommended Installation Sequence:
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- Microsoft System CLR Types
- Microsoft Shared Management Objects (SMO)
- Windows Server AppFabric (not required starting with DWP v.10.1.1 and discontinued since DWP v.11.0)
- Web Deploy (not required starting with DWP v.10.1.1)
- IIS URL Rewrite 2.0+
- Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
To install all of these components automatically you may use PowerShell scripts:
- Update the execution policy by using the 1.Set-ExecutionPolicy.ps1 file, i.e. copy the command from this file, paste it to the PowerShell Console and run as administrator.
- Run Redistribution_SQL_2012-2017.ps1
Both files are available in the downloaded Runtime Redistributables folder:
The components provided in the Setup & Runtime Redistributables archive are enough to complete the system pre-prerequisites. In case there are any issues or a newer version of the component is required, check the information provided in the links below.
Matrix42 SASM version
.NET Framework version
|LTSB 9.1.0||Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1|
|9.1.3||Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1|
|10.0.0||Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2|
Microsoft .NET Framework is also required for clients with access to the Workflow Studio.
Microsoft System CLR Types
Install SQLSysClrTypes.msi from the Microsoft website according to SQL Server installed: Microsoft SQL Server Feature Packs
Run the following script on the SQL Server:
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1; RECONFIGURE; GO sp_configure 'clr enabled', 1; GO RECONFIGURE; GO
For more information, see CLR Integration - Enabling.
Shared Management Objects (SMO)
Install SharedManagementObjects.msi from the downloaded Microsoft SQL Server Feature Pack.
Install SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi from the downloaded Microsoft SQL Server Feature Pack.
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)
Install MDAC 2.8 SP1 from the Microsoft website.
Please note that Microsoft AppFabric technology is no longer required for the 10.1.1 installations and its usage in the system is discontinued starting with DWP v.11.0.
Install the integrated Windows Server AppFabric technology collection (it is not necessary to install the Cache Client feature, please disable the Start Configuration Tool option).
Ensure that the AppFabric Services (AppFabricEventCollectionService, AppFabricWorkflowManagementService) are started after the installation (usually, this requires a system restart):
If AppFabric installation with administrator rights fails with 1603 error code check the PSModulePath:
- Go to Control Panel → System → Advanced System Settings;
- On the Advanced Tab click Enviroment Variables;
- Under System Variables there is a Variable named PSModulePath;
- Click Edit and remove all after the " (quotation mark).
- Save the changes and run the AppFabric installation.
Microsoft Web Deploy
Install the WebDeploy.
If the component is installed manually, choose the Complete setup type:
IIS URL Rewrite 2.0+
Install IIS URL Rewrite 2.0+ from the Microsoft IIS website.
Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components
Install Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components from the Runtime Redistributables folder.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) from the Runtime Redistributables folder.
Proceed to the Matrix42 Software Asset & Service Management installation when the setup prerequisites are successfully completed.