The Remote Control extension allows connecting to enabled remote devices via Matrix42 Remote Control with a token-based approach. It ensures that state-of-the-art security requirements are met as well as provides maximum flexibility in the management of access profiles.
The extension can be installed from Matrix42 Extension Gallery.
How the remote control works
Once you have installed the extension, you will be able to create remote control profiles. These profiles contain the settings for connecting to devices remotely. A profile can be restricted to be available only for certain users/roles and from specified devices only.
The remote connection is launched via the Remote Control action from the Endpoint Devices and My Endpoints navigation items in the Assets application.
Creating Remote Control Profiles
Profiles can be created and edited only by members of the Remote Control Profile Administrators role.
To create a new Remote Control profile:
- Go to the Remote Control Profiles navigation item in the Master Data application.
- Run the Add Remote Control Profile action. A new profile dialog will open.
- Fill in the General page:
- Specify a name for the profile.
- Select either Active or Inactive status for it. Only active profiles can be used for making a remote connection.
- In the Additional Parameters field, you can set any parameters that will be used when establishing the connection.
- Select the The profile is unrestricted and is available to any asset checkbox, if it is relevant.
- Otherwise, use the Assets lookup to select specific assets for which this profile will be available.
- Switch to the Audience page and set the availability of the profile to different users:
- Leave the The profile is unrestricted and is available to any user checkbox selected, if this is relevant.
- Otherwise, clear the checkbox. As a result, you will see additional tabs: Persons, Roles, Organizational Units, Locations, Cost Centers. Use these tabs to define which users will be able to execute this profile in a remote connection.
- Save the profile dialog.
Configuring the Remote Control Settings
Go to the Administration application > Remote Control Settings and configure the settings:
- Fill in the Issuer field with your individual FastViewer License Number.
- Click the Generate Key Pair button. As a result, the Private Key field will be filled in in the dialog while the public key will be saved as a file.
You need to specify the public key in the FastViewer settings. Provide the key in the Public Key field in the User Manager > General Settings > JWT Security section in FastViewer.
- Set the time period in the Expiry Seconds field. This period specifies for how long the token will be valid after you open the Remote Control wizard. After this period passes, the wizard needs to be refreshed so that a new token is generated. The default value is 600 seconds.
- In the Additional connection parameters (Can be adjusted manually if needed) field, you can set any connection parameters that will be used when establishing the connection.
- Save the settings.
Launching the Remote Connection
To establish a remote connection with a device:
- Go to the Assets application and open the My Endpoints navigation item. This navigation items displays only those devices that have a remote control profile available for the current user.
- Select a device you want to connect to and run the Remote Control action for it.
- The action wizard opens.
- The Computer field displays the selected device. Optionally, you can choose another device.
- In the Profile dropdown field, select the remote control profile to be used. The list of profiles displays only those profiles that are available for the selected computer and for the user that runs the action.
- Click Connect.
The Remote Control action is available to users that belong to the Remote Control Users role.
Every time you run the Remote Control action, a message containing the name of the user and the selected profile is saved to the journal.