Assignments can only be used, if an Empirum API connection is configured and available. Silverback is configured in the Data Provider settings.
Further information about the distribution options for servers and desktop devices can be found here.
Assignments describe the target state for the devices contained in it based on the assigned objects. An assignment can contain different device types (e.g. Windows computers, mobile devices with iOS and Anbroid) and object types (e.g. Silverback tag, Empirum package). It is ensured that the appropriate combination of device and object (management type) is used for distribution/configuration.
In this list, one or more corresponding assignments can be configured for the selected device. Also in this list you could see general information for each assignment like:
- Name - name of Assignment
- Description - description of Assignment
- Status - current status of Assignment (Active/Inactive/Stopped)
- Rollout Progress - shows percentage of devices which have installed all assigned objects (software) from current Assignment group
- Installation Errors - shows number of devices with errors during installation of assigned objects (software) within current Assignment group
- Rollout Start - time for Assignment group activation
- Rollout End - time for the rollout end
- Devices - number of assigned devices
- Objects - number of assigned objects
By clicking on the icons entries can be filtered by rollout progress state
- Red: Error.
- Green: Fully complete (All assigned objects are installed on all devices in Assignment group).
- Yellow: Partially complete (Assigned objects are partly installed on assigned devices in Assignment group).
- All grey: Not started (No assigned object is installed on any device in Assignment group).
If an new assignment is to be recreated, click on Add Assignment.Once you click on an existing assignment group, an information window opens on the right with all general data, assigned devices and objects. By clicking on Edit or double-clicking on the corresponding assignment group, they can be edited as in a new creation. In the left column of the editing window, the three different configuration options are now displayed:
Assignments Preview Pane
By selecting an assignment, a Preview Pane will open up to show general information to an assignment like it's name, description, status, but also list-views of already added devices and objects (software).
This view is separated in different tabs:
In this tab you can see all general information like name, status, description and Rollout Information.
- Fully complete: Shows the progress of object installations that are completed on the all devices.
- Partially complete: Shows the progress of object installations that are not yet completed on all devices.
- Not started: Shows the progress of object installations that have not yet been started on devices.
Rollout Progress Pie Chart
It shows the rollout progress for the current Assignment.
Each assignment could have up to 3 segments:
- Fully complete devices - shows number of devices which have installed all assigned objects (software) from the current assignment.
- Partially complete devices - shows number of devices which have installed one or more assigned objects (software) from the current assignment.
- Not started devices - shows number of devices which have not started installing any assigned objects (software) from the current assignment.
This tab shows the list of devices that are added to the selected assignment.
- Assigned: Shows the number of objects (packages) that are assigned to this device.
- Installed: Shows the number of assigned objects (packages) that are already installed on the device.
- Progress: Shows the progress of assigned objects (packages) that are completely installed.
- Activated: Indicates if a device is activated based on the rollout plan. Only devices with the state "Activated" are synchronized to Empirum or Silverback.
This tab shows the list of objects (software packages) that are added to the selected assignment.
- Installed: Shows the number of devices which have already installed the object.
- Progress: Shows the progress (percentage) of devices which have already installed the object.
ADding/Editing an Assignment
You can create a new assignment, by clicking on "Add Assignment" in the Assignments general view.
To edit an assignment, just click on "Edit" in the selected assignments Preview Pane.
In both cases you will get to the same edit dialog:
Status is used to set whether the assignment group is activated in the Empirum management system or not.
- Setting the status to "Active" will result in the activation of all devices of this specific Assignment Group only.
- Setting the status to "Inactive" will result in the deactivation of all devices of this specific Assignment Group only.
The "Stopped" status is set by the system when the error threshold is exceeded as part of a rollout plan and must be manually changed to "Active" or "Inactive".
The Distribution Commands correspond to the distribution commands of the Empirum Management Console (EMC).
Install / Update
One or more software assigned to the group will be installed and already installed software will be updated.
One or more software assigned to the group will be installed.
One or more software assigned to the group will be updated.
One or more software assigned to the group will be uninstalled.
By the option "User can postpone" you can save how often and until when a client can postpone the distribution on his device.
Rollout Start allows you to set a time for activation. If the status of the assignment is Active you can specify a scheduled rollout (distribution commands). To do this, select Immediately or Planned from the drop-down menu of the section Rollout Start on the right hand side. If you select Planned you can set a date and time in the future.
A rollout of the assigned software packages will not start before the set date and time has arrived and it has no end-date. This is part of the Empirum distribution commands (scheduler).
Rollout End allows you to set a time for the rollout end. You can either choose between None or Planned (specific end date).
Use Rollout Plan is used to set the properties of a rollout plan.
- Percentage activated of open installations: Sets the percentage of devices in current assignment group that should get activated at a defined schedule. Default value is 10%.
- Time between activation recalculation: Sets the time period between activation recalculation in days/hours. The default value is 1 day.
- Activate all devices when threshold is reached: Sets the threshold percentage of devices that have successfully installed all packages. When the threshold is reached, all remaining devices will be activated at the next recalculation. The default value is 50%.
- Stop rollout on error threshold: Sets the threshold percentage of devices that have errors during package installation. When this threshold is reached at the next recalculation the assignment group state is set to "Inactive" and the rollout is stopped. The default value 5%.
Click Add to open a window that displays all devices in the Empirum management system. From this list you can now select all devices to be added to this assignment. Note that in this list only devices that are NOT already part of the assignment are listed. Then click either on SAVE or DONE to apply changes.
To remove one or more devices from the assignment, select the devices you want to remove and click on REMOVE. Then click on SAVE or DONE to apply the changes or CANCEL to discard them.
Here you can see all of the objects that have already been added to the selected assignment.
To add one or more objects, click on Add to open a window that displays all objects. Note that in this list only software packages that are NOT already part of the assignment are listed.
Object types which can be assigned multiple:
- Software (Empirum Package)
- Tag (Silverback)
- Patch Management Group (Empirum Patch Management Patch and Service Pack Groups)
- OS Language Pack (Empirum imported Language Packs)
Objects which can only be assigned once per assignment:
- Agent Configuration (Empirum agent Template)
- OS Installation Sources (Empirum Imported Operating Systems)
- Boot Image (Empirum WinPE or EPE PreBoot Images)
To remove one or more objects from the assignment, select the objects you want to remove and click on Remove. Then click on SAVE or DONE to apply changes or CANCEL to discard them.
Objects with the Status "Blocked" or "Retired" will not be shown in this list.
If an assignment group with the same name already exists, an error message will appear at the button of the window and the assignment can't be saved.
The summary page shows the defined settings, assigned devices and objects.
A validation informs if an object type, which can only be assigned once per assignment, was added more than once.