About This Document
This document describes functional changes, bug fixes, known issues, modified behaviors and changed platform support that have been added since the last update.
Please find the installation files of this version on Matrix42 Marketplace.
System requirements, integration guides and instructions for installation and update are available in the Matrix42 Help Center
The latest agent with all details and information about the new features can be found here: Matrix42 Marketplace
If you use only WinPE and no longer EPE to install your operating systems, you can delete all imported WADK and WAIK (Configuration > OS Installer > Import) permanently.
Old or unneeded PreOS packages should be deleted from the EMC and locally from the hard disk.
Please check here in the EMC in the tab Configuration - Software Management - Depot - Matrix42 PreOS Packages and delete all unneeded PreOS packages.
Locally you can delete the same PreOS packages from the hard disk in the directory "%EmpirumServer%\Configurator$\PackageStore\PreOSPackages".
The v22.0.1 ISO has the latest WinPE 1.8.14 integrated. The latest PreOS packages are NOT automatically imported.
Further details and information about WinPE can be found here: WinPE
Update of Apache TomCat and Java components.
- Apache Tomcat: 9.0.65
- Java: 126.96.36.199+1-1
With 22.0.1, the WakeOnLan (WOL) service has been extended in online and offline mode. The old functionality is still given and is read out. The extension is that the "Magic packet" is sent to all MAC addresses of existing network cards in the inventory. A "Directed Broadcast" is sent as soon as the IP address and subnet mask is known. We support the following scenarios:
- No Inventory data available
- All known MACs from NICs
- Client DHCP Connection
- Client DHCP Options
- Static IP address
Patch Management now supports hybrid environment scenarios in which patches are not downloaded to the master server, but are available on sub depots. This functionality requires UEM Agent SFR 2209.1.2 or newer. More details are available as part of the agent documentation.
Enterprise Service Bus
The functions of the Enterprise Service Bus have been extended with version 22.0.1. The ESB deletes the variable configurations and Boot Configurations from the UUX and Empirum.
The Enterprise Service Bus is now extended to send and receive messages. Therefore it is very important that all participants like Empirum, EgoSecure and Silverback use their own subscription / queue as described in the Service Bus configuration help. If they all use the same subscription / queue, messages will be consumed the fastest and may not reach the correct consumer.
Notification of extended maintenance period (LTSB)
Empirum version 21.0.3 is declared as LTSB version. Customers who are entitled to Matrix42 Premium Support thus receive an extended maintenance period beyond the release of version 23.0.0 at the end of April 2023.
|PRB35941||With group rights the PXE activation option is not enabled at clients in search result list|
|PRB36783||Missing right for role EMP_C_DEPOT to update table ActivationQueue_SWM on deletions|
|PRB36809||Problem with the BootConfigs|
|PRB36825||Inventory service move InvFiles to the error folder: "Invalid Data in Inventory File"|
|PRB36422||Patches are not moved from test groups and blocking queue|
|PRB36721||Packaging Center: Package Wizard doesn't start|
|PRB36758||MAC Address disappear from computer properties during OS deployment|
|PRB36804||Vulnerability in OData Library can be exploited for Denial of Service attack|
|PRB36851||Empirum service bus writes persistent program errors to the log file|
|PRB36820||Security issue: Local Privilege Escalation via PBackupVSS|
|PRB36914||Container Cloud Tenant AgentConfig.xml: $ Sign missing in path in SMB Section|
|The feature "WinPE http/s Support" has current restrictions and don't support the client certificate from the agent template. Also Disk Imaging is not possible over http/s.|
Changed or no longer supported Features and Platforms
- Advanced Agent is not supported anymore.
- UEM Agent older than version 2003.x are not supported with protocol http(s) anymore.
- The SubDepot package no longer sets the null session shares
- Due to performance optimizations of the PXE service, the following behavior has changed when booting computer objects known in Empirum. If the checkbox "PXE enabled" is not set when creating a computer object, the checkbox is NOT automatically set when booting the client from v21.0!
Announcements for Version V23.0
- Windows 7 is no longer supported. The extended Support from Microsoft for Windows 7 ends in 01/2023
Discontinuations for Version v22.0 Update 1
Discontinuations in Version v22.0
Matrix42 Device Discovery and Linux installations with EPE are put into maintenance mode in the release of Empirum 22.0 as of May 01, 2022.
All products in maintenance mode are still usable and supported by Matrix42 Support. The product continues to receive troubleshooting. Services of the product are still possible. Matrix42 reserves the right to keep the product in maintenance mode indefinitely. For more information, please refer to our Product usage guide
Preliminary actions before installation
When you are downloading a Matrix42 hotfix or patch, the downloaded file may have a 'Zone.Identifier' information attached (depending on your browsers security configuration).
Please remove this 'Zone.Identifier', otherwise some problems with these files can occur (files are not loading correctly):
- Right-click the blocked file, and then click Properties.
- In the General tab, click Unblock.
To avoid the 'Zone.Identifier' in future please add the address 'https://m42marketplacemediathek.blob.core.windows.net' as a 'trusted zone' in the Internet Explorer.
- Log on to the Matrix42 Empirum Master Server using an administrative account.
- Make sure, that a backup of your location database and your installation directory (e.g. D:\Empirum) does exist.
- Copy the Matrix42_Empirum_22.0.1.iso to a temporary folder of the Empirum Master Server.
- Run the Matrix42_Empirum_22.0.1.iso with elevated rights (Run as administrator).
- If the system requires a reboot, please reboot.
All necessary Empirum Services on the Master Server will be uninstalled during the installation.
Due to changes on variables all INI files are rewritten.
The hashes of the Matrix42 software packages will be recreated.
- Start Empirum DBUtil and logon to EmpLocation and your location database.
Confirm the location table structure update.
- Update your location DB using the Update Tables action.
- Select the services (except PXE/TFTP, DeviceDiscovery) which are required for your installation and then click Install.
- Now install the services PXE/TFTP, DeviceDiscovery (if used) on the master server.
- Reinstall the DeviceDiscovery service on all Empirum depot servers (if used).
- If the Empirum ServiceBus service is used and installed, you must now reinstall it again.
- On the Empirum Server run EMC > Configuration > Software Management > Depot > Tools > Check Versions to apply the changes of updated package properties (Personal Backup and Patch Management).
- Reinstall all Empirum Subdepot and Empirum Subdepot PXE services (if used) on existing Empirum depot servers. You can use the Subdepot PXE Service package instead of updating the services via DBUtil manually.
- Reinstall the Empirum package Empirum Management Console 22.0 (EMC) on all affected computers. The EMC will be updated on your Empirum master server automatically during the update.
ODBC Driver Update to "ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server" is only necessary when using Microsoft SQL Server 2012-2017:
ODBC driver update to "ODBC Driver 17.9.1 for SQL Server" is only necessary when using Microsoft SQL Server 2019 / 2022:
An overview of all ODBC driver can be found here
Matrix42 Empirum v22.0 Directory Structure (not relevant for Cloud Customers)
The following files are stored with the extension *.new:
Post-command for OS-Installation:
- Configurator\User\EmpirumAgent.bat → Configurator\User\EmpirumAgent.new
- Configurator\User\UEMAgent.bat → Configurator\User\UEMAgent.new
If you have made adjustments in the original batch files, transfer them to the *.new file. Then delete the *.bat file and rename the *.new file to *.bat.
If you have not made any adjustments, delete the *.bat files and rename the *.new files to *.bat.
Check if the Inv_scan_XML.bat file was manually updated and does not use an older version of Empirum Inventory.
The following files are stored with the extension *.000, *.001 etc. (not relevant for Cloud Customers)
Files with this extension are only stored if there is already a file with the same name in the destination.
- Empirum DBUtil\Empirum DBUtil.ini
If you have made adjustments in these files, you must transfer the changes from the backup files (*.000) to the new files listed above. After that, all files with the extension *.000 etc. can be deleted.
During the update, the contents of the Manual directory will be moved to Empirum > Manual_Backup.
Updated Software Packages
The following Empirum software packages are updated but are not assigned a new version number. You need to update (reinstall) the following packages:
- Empirum Subdepot 22.0
- Sync Templates: ESubdepot_OS, ESubdepot_OS_QuickSync_Day & ESubdepot_OS_QuickSync_Night
- Empirum Subdepot PXE Service 22.0
- Empirum Subdepot WOL Service 22.0
- Empirum AUT Service 22.0
- Empirum Inventory 22.0
- Empirum Management Console 22.0
- Empirum Packaging Center 22.0
- Empirum Personal Backup 22.0
- Empirum Web Console 22.0
- Matrix42 Patch-Management Client Scan 22.0
- Matrix42 Patch-Management Client Fix 22.0